The Talking Impeachment quick-guide/flyer provides a concise summary of points (moral and practical/political) that challenge the "beltway blindness" and baseless fears that have kept impeachment "off the table."
Use it for talking points or simply pass it out as a flyer. And as always, DO some damn thing.
Flyer PDF – Just print double-sided and fold to distribute or use as a handy quick reference.
Congratulations. Your efforts thus far have pushed the momentum to impeach bushncheney to the point where it has become necessary to directly confront those who can make it happen - The DC-Dem Establishment.
But now you will have to deal with the "beltway blindness" that has hold of most the political elite. This is an alternate "reality" carefully constructed and maintained by consultants, lobbyists, pollsters, pundits, and other euphemedia trivializers. It is a world in which casting a losing "no" vote against a (formerly) Supreme Court nominee -- but refusing to join in a united filibuster -- is accepted as "opposition."
You cannot simply dismiss this mindset. It is very real.
You need to know your audience. You need to close the deal.
We Hope This Is Helpful.
Be prepared to combat their rationalizations (lame excuses) for inaction:
- No "other priorities" are being tangibly advanced anyway. Everything is hostage to the monarchical regime. Yes, even cutting funds for the war. Yes, even contempt charges.
- There's no reason not to impeach both bush and cheney. They are equally liable and equally dangerous. The "only cheney" option is another non-binding result.
- There is no "time issue" involved. The regime admits (and "defends") their actions. All that is left is to say NO. And even an impeachment vote on the last day is a mark for history. The Senate vote is irrelevant. Impeachment stands on its own merits. It is demanded by the circumstances, not by likelihood of "success."
- This has no commonality with the failed Clinton impeachment. It's not just apples and oranges, the circumstances are diametrically opposite. Realistically, we can expect "Reverse Clinton" effects. Perhaps even on conviction/removal.
- Impeachment will NOT "divide the country." This buzzword bunk is used as a virtual terror tactic. As if "being divisive" is worse than being treasonous. If impeachment means more "division" between Constitutional defenders and attackers, what's the downside?. A 70/30 anti-fascism split IS "unity."
- There is NO "Backlash" to fear. This meme is floated only in the beltway where it echoes. Any recent lack of "energy" in the GOP base is from those turning away from the regime. They are more likely to join the attack than rally to the regime.
Impeachment is Objection:
- The need to voice objection in the name of the American People for that which they never provided their consent is the ONLY way to preserve the People's sovereignty. It is what the Founders intended and what their oaths of office demand.
- Objection/accusation is the beginning of any accountability process. The Dreyfus Affair did not begin its return to justice with finding forgeries, but with Zola's charge "J'Accuse."
Impeachment is Best for Democrats:
- The party's historical "weakness" is what got us into this mess. It pervades the electorate's view on all other issues. A display of resolve now could erase decades of damage.
- Impeachment forces a comprehensive "up or down vote." It can force Republicans to go on record defending the worst of the recent past with the maximum public attention.
- The polls show independents' support for impeachment to be high. Now is the time to lock in that swing vote for the foreseeable future.
Without Impeachment Nothing Will "Get Better" in 2009:
- Failure to challenge bushchenyism now allows it to flourish. Even if Democrats would otherwise win the next election, it is ONLY by impeachment that the scope of damage can be exposed. Without it, they are left to regroup and reemerge.
- There is no "restoring" of that which should never be lost. Failure to confront these violations of our core values and the violations themselves are 2 sides of the same coin. Without impeachment, that which was inviolable becomes fungible.
- Keeping one's head in the sand and hoping is not a solution to anything. Active rejection of the regime's litany of impeachable offenses is the ONLY way to guard against their recurrence -- and to adequately protect our once-great nation.
Impeachment is Best for Any Other "Issue":
- Bushcheneyism is the glaring obstacle toward real progress on any subject you'd care to name. Whether domestic or international in scope, scant progress can be made while the regime retains their grip on national discourse and mechanisms of power.
- The Republican Party has surrendered to bushcheneyism. They have become a quasi-fascist, followers party -- detached from any values basis. Impeachment could well be the only way back to "bipartisan" or "unified" governing.
Impeachment Will Bolster Our National Security:
- Global threats are better met with global partners. We once were confident in full cooperation from the vast majority of foreign governments and intelligence services. That is no longer the case. Impeachment rejects the regime's "with us or against us" dictate that has isolated us from former allies.
- The regime has failed miserably by any measure of how safe we've become during their reign. Those who wish to harm us likely fear impeachment as much as Karl Rove.
Impeachment Can Begin to Redeem Our National Soul:
- While that may sound quite vague, there are very real consequences to our current state of disgrace.
- We can send a signal to the world that the American People want to return to their former respected status. The US is no longer viewed as an honest peace broker, a trustworthy trading partner, or benign global force for good.
- We are losing hundreds of billions in trade deficits because this regime has so degraded our standing in the world. The simple fact is that no one wants to trade with war criminals. The global economy allows easy economic avoidance of bad actors.
Failure to Impeach is the Worst Possible Result
Talk Openly and Loudly To Anyone Who'll Listen
Remind Them That Torture and Death Is Happening Today
Demand That They Choose to Act To Stop It -- Or Remain Complicit -- In Tacit Approval
Failure To Impeach Is Complicity
-- Tacit Approval
-- Exoneration For This Regime!!
Why Protect Them?